Reporting to OIE

Reporting to OIE


Office of Institutional Equity

You can notify the University and talk about different resolution options available through the Office of Institutional Equity. Even if you choose not to report formally or choose not to participate in a resolution process, you can still contact OIE for information and assistance accessing on- or off- campus support services. You can make a report to OIE in several ways: 

Law Enforcement

You can choose to contact the police and file a criminal complaint with law enforcement. There may be several policy agencies that you can contact including: 

  • UCCS Police at 719-255-3111
  • Colorado Springs Police Department at 719-444-7000
  • El Paso County Sheriff's Department at 719-520-7100
UC Health Memorial Hospital

SANE exams are offered through the central location emergency room 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Students that are unable to find transportation to UC Health Memorial Hospital on their own may contact Yellow Cab at 719-777-7777.

Contact information for UC Health Memorial Hospital is:

UC Health Memorial Hospital
1400 E. Boulder St.
Colorado Springs, CO 80909


Confidential Reporting

If you are not sure if you want to initiate a University resolution process or make a police report, you can receive confidential information and services through the following resources: 

  • Students can contact the University Wellness Center at 719-255-4444 
  • Employees of UCCS can obtain confidential services through the Colorado State Employee Real Help Hotline: (833) 533-CHAT (2428)

Mandatory Reporting

  • What are mandatory reporting requirements?

    A Responsible Employee who witnesses or receives a written or verbal report alleging that a member of the University community has been subjected to or has committed an act of sexual misconduct, protected class discrimination and harassment, has failed to disclose a conflict of interest in an amorous relationship, or related misconduct, including but not limited to retaliation, must promptly report it to the Office of Institutional Equity (OIE). Failure to promptly report to the OIE is also a form of misconduct and violates the applicable policies.

    If an individual discloses an incident to a Responsible Employee who by definition is a mandatory reporter, but the individual wishes to maintain privacy and requests that no resolution process be pursued, that no disciplinary action be taken, or that the allegation not be reported to law enforcement, the Responsible Employee remains required to report all relevant information to the OIE.

  • Who is a Responsible Employee?

    A responsible employee is any employee who:

    1. Has the authority to hire, promote, discipline, evaluate, grade, formally advise, or direct faculty, staff, or students;
    2. Has the authority to take action to redress prohibited conduct; and/or
    3. Has been given the duty of reporting incidents of sexual violence or any other misconduct by students to the Director of Institutional Equity.

    Examples of responsible employees include, but are not limited to: faculty, teaching assistants, residence advisors, academic advisors, coaches, supervisors, and anyone who leads, administers, or directs University programs.

    *This does not include any medical, mental health, Ombuds, or counseling office personnel, in addition to any other offices covered by a statutory privilege or designated in campus procedures as not subject to mandatory reporting to the University.

  • What information does a Responsible Employee need to report?

    The Responsible Employee is required to promptly report to the OIE all known details about the alleged prohibited conduct, including:

    1. Name(s) of the complainant(s);
    2. Name(s) of the respondent(s);
    3. Name(s) of any alleged witnesses; and
    4. Any other relevant facts, including the date, time, and specific location of the alleged incident.

    If the Responsible Employee does not know all the above details, the Responsible Employee must still make a report with the available information. If the Responsible Employee is unable to provide this information at the time of making an initial report, but later becomes aware of additional information, the Responsible Employee must supplement the prior report.

    *Responsible Employees are not required to report prohibited conduct to which they have been personally subjected to the OIE, but are nonetheless encouraged to report.

  • How does a Responsible Employee report to OIE?

    Office of Institutional Equity

    Phone: 719-255-4324



    Main Hall Room 312
    1420 Austin Bluffs Parkway
    Colorado Springs, Colorado 80918

    Laura Emmot

    Associate Vice Chancellor of Institutional Equity
    Title IX Coordinator

    Phone: 719-255-3725

    Main Hall Room 312
    1420 Austin Bluffs Parkway
    Colorado Springs, Colorado 80918


  • Why does a Responsible Employee need to report?

    The University views reporting misconduct as fundamental to its ability to provide a campus environment that allows equal access to educational and employment opportunities. By reporting to the OIE, a Responsible Employee is:

    • Ensuring the Complainant is safe. In addition to addressing the concerns, the Office of Institutional Equity often partners with other UCCS resources to ensure the Complainant is receiving all the support the individual needs during a time where they are often anxious, stressed, and confused.
    • Allowing the OIE to understand the true nature and scope of the Complainant’s concerns. Often, Complainants only tell the responsible employee a fraction of what has been going on with the Respondent(s). The OIE provides a safe environment for the Complainant to discuss their concerns in depth. In exchange, the OIE can address those concerns by learning who is involved, what has been occurring, why the Complainant believes the conduct is occurring, and what the Complainant would like to see happen.
    • Helping get the behaviors to stop. In order to enforce the policies, the OIE must be aware of the concerns. The OIE has been tasked with ensuring individuals are acting in accordance with the policies and is in the best position to promptly and consistently address concerns across the campus.

Call 911 or Campus Police (719-255-3111) in an emergency or if you have an immediate safety concern. 


A report of sexual misconduct, protected class discrimination or harassment, or related misconduct may be pursued in different ways. Depending on the nature of the alleged conduct, a potential complainant may pursue a criminal process, a University process, both processes, or neither process. They may also decline to notify authorities.


What should I do if I am reporting for someone else?
What type of support can someone receive after reporting to OIE?
What type of evidence should be preserved?
What if alcohol and drugs were involved?
What if someone provides false or misleading information?